As shoppers gear up for Black Friday Winchester Police are reminding you to not let your safety get lost in the shuffle. The police department will have extra patrols out as shoppers head to the stores Thanksgiving night and Black Friday. As you make your shopping list, make sure you’re checking it twice and include the following safety tips.
- Park in well-lit areas of store parking lots.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Lock your car doors.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
- Shop with a friend or group.
- Place shopping bags in your trunk and do not leave packages visible in your car
- Leave your purse at home to avoid purse snatchers and pickpockets. Carry your ID and credit cards in a front pocket. If giving up a purse is out of the question, choose one with a long strap that can be worn over your head and covered with a jacket for safety. Do not leave your purse in your car.
- Be extra cautious when driving through parking lots and be aware of people who are walking to and from stores.
Winchester Police have received eight reports of car windows being smashed in and purses stolen since November 3rd. Officers are stressing the importance of taking your valuables out of your car. Residents are reminded to immediately report any suspicious activity or persons to the police department by calling the non-emergency number at 540-662-4131.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for our area on Wednesday, November 26th from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Drivers are reminded to be extra careful as you head out and to allow extra time to get to your destination.
We wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season!