Chief Kevin Sanzenbacher
We are dedicated to becoming one of the best police departments in the country. Our goal is to have a highly trained, physically fit, and properly supported officer on the scene of any emergency in the City in less than five minutes from the time you call us. To that end, in the last several years we have:
- Become an accredited law enforcement agency through the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission;
- We have developed the Frederick County/Winchester Law Enforcement Foundation. The Foundation is designed to provide us with expert guidance and support from the business community (Click Here to view the Foundation page)
- Our officers must pass an annual fitness assessment designed to ensure our personnel can meet the physical demands placed on law enforcement personnel;
- Our Community Response Team (CRT) has developed a partnership with other City agencies to take on some of the largest quality of life issues facing the City. This effort resulted in the 2011 Virginia Municipal League Award of Excellence for a City our size;
- The Timbrook House Youth Reporting Center has created a welcoming and learning environment for troubled youth in our community. This has been a joint effort between the City Schools, Juvenile Court Judges, Commonwealth’s Attorney, Juvenile Court Services and a large number of non-profit organizations;
- We are supported by excellent teams in SWAT, Crisis Intervention and the Emergency Communication Center.
Our goal through all this activity is to identify issues early so we may intervene before they can impact on the quality of life in the community. We hope to make Winchester an even better and safer place to work, play and live, and to support the Winchester City mission of making this, “The Community of Choice”.
Thank you for visiting our website. In browsing through it you can learn about the organization of our department; you can read about our specialized units and volunteer opportunities. You can also link to Crime Reports to view crime activity in the City. I think you will see that our neighborhoods are safe places to work and play.
Please remember, this is an interactive site. You can read about what the agency does, but you can also reach out to us, and I encourage you to do so.