The Telephone Reporting Unit is responsible for completing reports where the suspect(s) identity is unknown as well as all minor crime reports that do not require any field investigation by patrol officers in the field. Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) is staffed by civilian employees. Because of this, crimes in which there is no suspect information or evidence (fingerprints, video, witnesses, etc.) can be documented by an employee in TRU. This enables officers to handle more urgent calls.
The following are examples of reports that can be taken over the phone:
- Computer Crime: Email or Internet offenses
- Credit Card Fraud
- Defrauding Innkeeper, Motel, Restaurant, Taxi
- Harassing / Obscene Phone Calls
- Identification Theft by Internet
- Larceny From a Vehicle
- Obtaining Goods or Services by False Pretense
- Police Information
- Reckless Driving (delayed report)
- Stolen License Plates
- Supplemental Reports
- Suspicious Vehicles or Persons
- Throwing Missiles
- Vandalism or Destruction of Property
Police Officer Response Exceptions:
A patrol officer or detective when appropriate, should be dispatched under the following circumstances, and should be notified if a TRU report had been taken, as well as what actions he/she is requested to perform upon his/her arrival:
- The call reports a suspect, witness or evidence
- It is determined that there is physical evidence at the scene which should be collected, or the caller requests evidence processing
- The Emergency Communications Specialist, TRU operator, or patrol supervisor determines a delay in follow up would jeopardize the outcome of any subsequent investigation
*It is important to remember that TRU can ONLY take reports where the identity of the suspect is unknown. For all non-emergency reports please call 540-662-4131 for immediate assistance. If you have an emergency please call 9-1-1.
If you would like to make a police report for crimes within the City of Winchester, VA, call 540-545-4708, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If a TRU employee is not available at the time of your call, you can leave a message and they will make every attempt to contact you within 48 hours, with the exception of the office being closed because of federal holidays..