Brunson, 48, was a 21 year veteran of the Department and was well known and respected in the community. His unexpected death has made an impact on fellow law enforcement officers and community members he served. Brunson is remembered by his colleagues for providing insightful advice and a calm demeanor during tense situations.
He had an accomplished career at the Winchester Police Department:
- On February 10, 1995, Officer Brunson was sworn at the Winchester Circuit Court Clerk’s Office as a law enforcement officer, to serve and protect the community.
- On June 23, 1995, Officer Brunson graduated from Central Shenandoah Criminal Justice Academy.
- On September 5, 2006, Brunson was promoted to Master Police Officer.
- Officer Brunson was a founding member of the Community Policing Unit, a member of the SWAT Team, Firearms Instructor/Armorer, Field Training Officer, and a counselor with the annual Kids & Cops camp.
- Officer Brunson was the recipient of many letters of commendation and several honors, including a Meritorious Action Award in 2014 for entering a burning home to search for a 2-year-old boy.